Follow our Christiansted Map to begin this historic walking tour.
Let's start a leisurely walking tour of Christiansted at the site of the Old Scale House on the harborfront, known as the Wharf. One section of the 1856 structure displays the scale used in former days to weigh barrels of rum and sugar. The other section holds a bookstore and gift shop as well as an information center about all things St. Croix. This is one of a complex of five buildings comprising the Christiansted National Historic Site, established in 1952, administered by the National Park Service.
Nearby, The Old Customs House with its sweeping staircase, on the grassy area next to the Fort, was completed in 1830. It now holds National Park Service offices.
Fort Christiansvaern was the first public building to be started by the Danes after the island was purchased from France in 1733. It is built of Danish yellow brick and was completed in 1749 and later expanded. Its present appearance reflects the 1830's period.
Furnishings from that era are on display; also an exhibit on local military history. At the entrance admission tickets to the Fort and Steeple Building are sold ($3) and brochures available. Open Monday through Friday 8 am to 5 pm, weekends 9 am to 5 pm. 2 hour parking available on site.
The Steeple Building across Hospital Street was formerly the Lutheran Church and dates from 1753. It houses a display documenting aspects of the religious history of St. Croix. Ask for opening hours at the Fort.
Across Company Street lies the onetime Danish West India & Guinea Company Warehouse, built in 1749. In its courtyard, slave auctions were formerly held.
Government House on King Street was in part the former home of a Danish merchant. That section dates from 1749; another section, the previous town house of a wealthy Danish plantation owner, was joined to it in 1826, together becoming the seat of the Danish West Indies government. The grand staircase and portico were added in 1830, as was the impressive ballroom/reception hall on the second floor by Governor General Peter von Scholten, who had his office and official residence here. The former are open to the public (entrance at mid-building on King Street). The Virgin Islands Tourism office (open weekdays only) is downstairs fronting the Lutheran Church.
The Lutheran Church across Queen Cross Street on King Street, was originally the Dutch Reformed Church, built in the 1740's and transferred to the Lutherans in 1831, who brought the furnishings here from the Steeple Building. Later, the steeple was added.
Walking up Queen Cross Street to Company Street takes you to Apothecary Hall on the left corner, which holds both the tiny Apothecary Museum on Queen Cross Street, open anytime, and in the courtyard the Archaeological Museum, open only Saturdays 10 am-2 pm.
Nearby on Company Street is the Old Market, laid out in the original town plan from 1735, and still being used. The well dates from 1863. On this square you will also find the downtown Post Office.
Guided town tours are available at a fee; inquire at the Scale House bookstore.
St. Croix This Week | St. Thomas + St. John This Week
Location: # 1 Havensight Way, St. Thomas, VI 00802
Mailing Address: PO Box 11199 St. Thomas, VI 00801-4199
Telephone: (340) 774-2500
Fax: (340) 776-1466